Let your credentials speak for themselves
The Market Conduct Management (MCM®) designation program is designed to provide hands-on training for regulators and insurance industry professionals on how to efficiently and effectively manage market conduct examinations and to promote the interests of insurance regulators. It is a unique and practical program designed both for the experienced professional and those wishing to enhance their regulatory and compliance career, teaching valuable tools for examination management designed to achieve operational efficiencies. The MCM® program is ideal for current and future Examiners-In-Charge and company compliance personnel.
Unlike the other IRES designations, the MCM® Program does not rely on self-study courses. To earn the MCM® Designation, individuals are required to read the MCM® textbook, attend a 2½-day in-person program, and pass a certification examination.
All MCM® program attendees who complete the course and pass the test receive the IRES MCM® designation.
Each MCM® program lasts 2½ days and facilitates an information exchange between regulators and industry, offers certification, and furthers professional standards and ethics in insurance regulation. The curriculum is interactive and comprehensive, and the class material encompasses a wide variety of market regulation topics.
Attire is business casual.
The following topics are covered during the MCM® class:
- Purpose & Vehicles for Market Regulation
- Market Analysis
- Core Exam Procedures
- Exam & Investigative Techniques
- Fraud Detection
- Addressing Violations & Non-Violation Issues
- Pre-Examination Planning
- Role of the Examiner-In-Charge
- Exam Team Management
- Managing the Exam
- Workpaper Organization & Documentation
- Workpaper Confidentiality
- Communicating with the Company, Team, & Insurance Department
- Issuing Critique/Comment Forms
- Exam Report Writing
- Avoiding Conflicts
- Post Exam Communication
- Exam Process Technology
- Understanding the Standardized Data Requests
- Constructing a Data Call
- Analyzing the Data
8:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.
- Introduction to Market Regulation
- Anatomy of a Market Conduct Examination
- Company Communication Techniques
- Examination Assignments
- Core Examination Procedures
- Questions of Fact
- Addressing Violations of Law and Regulations
8:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.
- Technology in the Examination Process
- Effective Communication within the DOI
- Detection of Fraud
- Dealing with Issues That May Not Appear in the Final Report
- Workpapers and Confidentiality
- Management of Examination Staff
- Standardized Data Requests (SDRs)
- Actual Data Files
- Exam Management for Company Coordinators
8:00 a.m. – 1:00 p.m.
- Procedure Reviews
- Global Case Study
- Certification Examination
IRES members holding an AIE®, CIE® or CICSR® will automatically receive 15 continuing education credits for completion of the course.
General certificates of attendance will be issued to participants interested in using the MCM® program to satisfy continuing education requirements for other organizations.
The registration fee covers the cost of the MCM® textbook, the classroom materials, and the examination. The registration fee does not include travel expenses, breakfast, lunch, refreshments, or dinner.
Click here to see a list of upcoming MCM® Designation Programs and/or to register for an upcoming program.